Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Another good thing

Ubuntu! - I've been using Linux since Fedora Core (it didn't have a number in those days): that was in 2003. In 2009 I switched to Ubuntu for the host OS and later that year made the change both my Linux guests. I have been delighted.

VMware now player works fairly seamlessly; the new release upgrade process is only mildly irritating in the Linux guests, and my Logitech webcam still crashes the whole stack (strictly thi is a VMware problem which was fixed in Player R4.0.1 but I prefer R3.1.5 for its window management at start and suspend). But, in return I get a phenomenally stable system, the Logitech issue aside, that hasn't crashed that I can remember in well over two years. Were I not addicted to Excel I'd not use any other OS (and that includes replacing OS X Lion with Ubuntu on my Macbook when I get time).

Today, and this is what prompted the posting, I found another hidden gem. This screen shot shows my desktop spanning two monitors. There is a task bar on both; each has a window list; but, and this is the neat part, the window list is not the same on the two sides, but reflects the windows open on that monitor. And when you drag a window from  one monitor to another, the window lists reflect that change. This might not seem a big deal, but try doing that in Windows.     

No comments:

Post a Comment