Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Spectacular

I got my first pair of glasses, I think, in 1976. The lenses were made of glass and cost sixty quid. That seemed a lot to someone in a high school (when LPs cost £2.99-£3.99). Today I just ordered a new pair of glasses; they are plastic, have high RI, are lighter than my first pair, and have multiple sophisticated coatings to cut UV and a frequency of blue light that (supposedly) is emitted by LED displays. The were $46.95. Adjusting for inflation, they were 91% cheaper than my first pair.

It is often said that we don't pay enough attention to the things we can now buy that were much more expensive a generation ago. And its true that inflation has outpaced middle earners' incomes for some time. Nevertheless there are examples, like this, of things that make ones dollars go further.

No comments:

Post a Comment