Friday, June 17, 2011

Computers!

Yesterday my desktop Internet (or internet to the younger generation) connection was running very slowly, about 1/6th it's normal speed. Some diagnosing narrowed the problem down to the onboard LAN adapter on the motherboard. MSI's suggestion was to reinstall the OS; while I greatly appreciate their willingness to support end users this really wasn't the problem. So I ordered an Ethernet (ethernet) adapter card which will arrive on Monday. For now I have a 6 gigabit DSL line that to all intents and purpose, looks like dial-up.  In the mean time, I decided to install the new DVD burner. The last one, only 3 years old, decided 18 months ago that it would only open if encouraged, forcibly, with a paper-clip; after a while this gets a bit tiresome. But here's the odd thing. After installing the new burner, my ethernet adapter is working just fine! Actually physically disconnecting the power seems to have corrected the problem. (Joel suggest it was a temperature problem, a really interesting idea but one that ultimately seems not to have been the cause). So today I'm feeling a little better about things in general. Daft how something so minor and affect ones  general mood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment