Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Spinning wheel

I'm not a macro-economist and I confess I struggled with my macro econ course 30 years ago. So I rely on a mental mode that may be a little off. The way I think of the economy is a as a circular flow of money; and if that were water it would have considerable momentum, but if stop it circulating, it takes a great deal of energy to start it rotating again. ( Of course the metaphor is problematic; where does the energy go when you top the wheel suddenly, as we have just done ). But setting that difficulty aside, pumping water into the system as a way of keeping the flow circulating when the normal flow is being siphoned off  by-shelter-in place is important, because starting the flow again if it stops would be far more difficult that keeping it going and siphoning off some in higher taxes to replenish (repay) the loans.   

No comments:

Post a Comment