Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Impeachment, Act II Scene 1 - Places, people, places

I didn't listen to any of the testimony today. Intentionally. I watched the insurrection on January 6th; I have listened for months to Trump whipping up his supporters; I know what happened; and I think I know why. And since I'm not a juror in the trial I'm not obligated to listen dutifully to the case for the defense. 

But what I did see was 44 of the 50 Republican senators rendering their verdict that the trial was unconstitutional. Whether or not they believe this or whether they are simply looking to their next elections, the vote guarantees that Trump will escape any consequences for his action (and inaction). None of the 44 who took the side of unconstitutionality will vote to convict; how could they after just saying the Senate has no business hearing the case? 

That mean that the best result the prosecution can hope for is that all the six who voted in favor of constitutionality will also vote to convict on the merits. But that's a best case scenario; more likely is that some (if not all) of the six will take the position that there is no direct line between Trumps actions and those of the insurrectionists. Their vote to proceed with the trial will make them appear to have taken the proceedings seriously without voting on the merits in a way that they worry will enrage Trump supporters and so might hurt them at the polls. It is the prelude to another rather sad day for American democracy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment