Sunday, November 7, 2021

No time to loose

A few years ago I bought several cheap but stylish watches. Each was about $20, so I decided to have one for summer time and one for daylight savings time. That way I'd never have to adjust my watch when the clocks changed. 

Early this morning the clocks went back and I put on my daylight savings time watch. I hadn't worn it since March 13th and almost certainly hadn't adjusted for several weeks before then. 

Checking against my phone and my desktop clocks, both of which are synced to internet time, my cheap $20 watch is seven seconds fast. Since at some point last year I did make sure is was within a second or so of internet time, it has gained only seven seconds in six months or longer. 

When I think back to my second watch, a Tissot my father gave me when his colleagues gave him a new one on his retirement, that Swiss movement made by a company renowned for its accurate time pieces, had to be adjusted practically every day.  That's the kind of remarkable progress which comes with the passage of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment