Saturday, January 15, 2022

Open letter to Sir Lewis Hamilton

Sir Lewis Hamilton,
c/o Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team
Operations Centre,
Brackley NN13 7BD,
United Kingdom


Dear Sir Lewis,

I am and have been an admirer of yours for well over a decade (in fact after your first season with McLaren).  I was absolutely gutted by Michael Masi’s (in my view) complexly wrong-headed decision in the Abu Dhabi GP. You dominated the race from the get-go only to have it stolen on the last lap. If I’m upset, I can only imagine how hard that was for you. 

I really wanted (and still do hope) to see you win an eighth world championship title. That would be a record that I doubt would ever be broken. I started following Formula 1 when Jackie Stewart, Jochen Rindt and Emerson Fittipaldi were at the top of the profession, so I‘ve seen a good many drivers come and go in 50+ years: and not one, other than Schumacher, has even come close to what you’ve accomplished. But with at least another season ahead of you, that eighth title is within reach. You would go down in history as the greatest driver of all time (an accolade I suspect you have already earned).

My point is this: I really hope you do decide to stay in the sport for at least another season, or until you bag that eighth title. These days, you are really the only reason I watch F1, so for me and all your fans, please don’t quit now.

Sincerely

Simon Rodan

No comments:

Post a Comment